Carolina Hurricanes vs Washington Capitals NHL Hockey Pick and Prediction from Pucking Hockey for tonight, March 31st (3/31/15)
Playing For Pride And Jobs
The one thing the Hurricanes have done this season, having a 85.2 percentage mark on the penalty kill and has not allowed more than one power play goal once in 36 road contests this season. However, Washington enters this game a NHL best, 24.4 percent on the power play, due to Ovechkin and Backstrom. Backstrom has a league-high 28 assists on the man advantage.
The Hurricanes may be great on the penalty kill they have also been short-handed 183 times for the NHL’s second lowest total. They keep that up and the Capitals will eat them alive on the power play.
Carolina’s penalty killing is offset by their lack of offense, their 2.27 goals per game are among the lowest average in the league.
Jeff Skinner has gone a season-high 11 games without scoring. Eric Staal had 6 goals over the previous games. However was help without a point last game.
“We’re a good team, obviously I know our record shows otherwise,” winger Nathan Gerbe said. “I know we’re a good team, we’ve been in a lot of games, took it to a lot of teams but just finding the complete game, 60 minutes, is what we have to do.”
Carolina Hurricanes Trends and Stats
- The total has gone UNDER in 7 of Carolina’s last 9 games
- Carolina is 3-8 SU in its last 11 games
- Carolina is 2-4 SU in its last 6 games when playing Washington
- The total has gone UNDER in 17 of Carolina’s last 25 games when playing Washington
- The total has gone OVER in 4 of Carolina’s last 6 games when playing Washington
- The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Carolina’s last 7 games when playing on the road against Washington
- Carolina is 4-2 SU in its last 6 games when playing on the road against Washington
Is This The Year For Washington?
Alex Ovechkin is one goal from 50 and holds a league best 22 goals on the power play. Washington is 5-2-0 in their last 7 , Ovechkin scored twice putting him on the verge of his 6th 50-goal season.
‘When we play our game, we play simple and (opponents) make mistakes,’ Ovechkin said. ‘Mentally it’s important for us.’
Currently the Capitals hold the first wild card position, trailing Pittsburgh and the Islanders by 3 points. But with the Islanders and Penguins slipping I am expecting the Capitals to finish in the division.
Things have been going so weel for Washington they are even getting goals up and down the lineup, and as the saying goes “deep teams have deep playoff runs”. Troy Brouwer and Jason Chimera each had 2 goals over the weekend.
Washington Capitals Trends and Stats
- Washington is 5-2 SU in its last 7 games
- Washington is 16-8 SU in its last 24 games at home
- Washington is 4-2 SU in its last 6 games when playing Carolina
- The total has gone UNDER in 17 of Washington’s last 25 games when playing Carolina
- The total has gone OVER in 4 of Washington’s last 6 games when playing Carolina
- The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Washington’s last 7 games when playing at home against Carolina
- Washington is 2-4 SU in its last 6 games when playing at home against Carolina
NHL Starting Goalies
Carolina Hurricanes – Cam Ward
Ward stopped 21 of 22 shots in the Hurricanes victory over the Devils on Saturday. He was given Sunday night off, but it looks like he will be back in goal tonight in Washington. Ward has not faced the Caps this season, but he has struggled on the road—so far Ward is 7-13-1 with a 3.01 GAA and .897 SV% away from home
Washington Capitals – Braden Holtby
Holtby allowed two goals on 25 shots in the Capitals 5-2 win over the Rangers on Sunday. Tonight he wraps up March having gone 8-4-0 with a 2.28 GAA and .923 SV% in his first 13 starts this month. He will be making his third start against the Hurricanes—he has gone 1-1-0 with a 1.54 GAA and .955 SV% in their first two meetings.
The Capitals are home and red hot at the moment scoring goals left and right. Cam Ward has not been great on the road, so instead of eating the chalk. I am going with the puck line.
Washington Capitals -1.5 (+155 odds) Risking $100 to profit $155)
Pucking Hockey is a registered trademark company. Pucking Hockey is a registered copyright company. All Rights Reserved.